Department of Dental Hygiene, Cheongam College1
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the perception and satisfaction of faces and the need for aesthetic dental treatments in college students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 247 college students in Suncheon from August 29 to September 2, 2016. The questionnaire consisted of satisfaction of face (16 items), perception of the face (7 items), need for aesthetic dental treatment (3 items), and general characteristics of the study subjects (8 items). Tooth shade was measured using a shade guide (VITA classical shade guide, VITA North America, Chicago, USA). Data was analyzed using t test, ANOVA, and post hoc Scheffé test. Results: The students were satisfied with eye, mouth corner, and lip, but they were not satisfied with tooth shade, bilateral symmetry of face, and angle of jaw. The students tended to be concious of perception of others. Their most common tooth shade was orange and yellow. They preferred to have a brighter tooth color. Conclusions: To satisfy the needs of patients, it is important to understand the perception and satisfaction of face and the need for aesthetic dental treatment.
1. Raj V. Esthetic paradigms in the interdisciplinary management of maxillary anterior dentition- a review. J Esthet Restor Dent 2013;25(5):295-304. https://doi.org/10.1111/jerd.12028
2. Carlsson GE, Johansson A, Johansson AK, Ordell S, Ekback G, Unell L. Attitudes toward dental appearance in 50- and 60-year-old subjects living in Sweden. J Esthet Restor Dent 2008;20:46-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2008.00148.x
3. Paek JH. Diagnosis of Esthetic treament. J Korean Dent Assoc 2016;54(1):8-15.
4. Spear FM, Kokich VG. A multidisciplinary approach to esthetic dentistry. Dent Clin North Am 2007;51(2):487-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2006.12.007
5. PKim SJ, Kim MG, Park SM, Ban JS, Park SW. A study on the smile according to age and esthetic evaluation by the degree of dental knowledge. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2012;50(4): 249-57. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2012.50.4.249
6. Choi DH, Lee KH. Influencing factors on functional, psychological, and aesthetic satisfaction in dental prosthetic treatment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2):225-33. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.225
7. Seo JK. Comparison of Korean and Japanese facial perception[Master’s thesis]. Ulsan: Univ. of Ulsan, 2015.
8. An SM, Choi SY, Chung YW, Jang TH, Kang KH. Comparing esthetic smile perceptions among laypersons with and without orthodontic treatment experience and dentists. Korean J Orthod. 2014;44(6):294-303. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2014.44.6.294
9. Choi MH. A survey research on industrial workers’ oral examination status and oral health educational request level. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010;10(1):185-95.
10. Kim MY, Lee KW, Moon HS, Chung MK. A study on the gratification of the patient in the dental hospital. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2008;46(1):65-82.
11. Lee HN. Evaluation of self-satisfaction, self-awareness and self-perception in Korean and Japanese layperson[Master’s thesis]. Ulsan: Univ. of Ulsan, 2014.
12. Lee KH, Lee HS. The comparison of the appearance perception, satisfaction, and self-esteem following the adolescent orthodontic treatment demand. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6): 1063-70. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1063
13. Ioi H, Shimomura T, Nakata S, Nakasima A, Counts AL. Comparison of anteroposterior lip positions of the most-favored facial profiles of Korean and Japanese people. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;134(4):490-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2006.09.070
14. Soh J, Chew MT, Chan TH. Perceptions of dental esthetics of Asian orthodontists and laypersons. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2006;130(2):170-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.ajodo.2005.05.048
15. Tourenoa L, Kook YA, Bayome M, Parka JH. The effect of western adaptation of Hispanic- Americans on their assessment of Korean facial profiles. Korean J Orthod 2014;44(1):28-35. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2014.44.1.28
16. Denizea ES, McDonald F, Sherriff M, Nainid FB. Facial profile parameters and their relative influence on bilabial prominence and the perceptions of facial profile attractiveness: A novel approach. Korean J Orthod 2014;44(4):184-94. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2014.44.4.184
17. Nomura M, Motegi E, Hatch JP, Gakunga PT, Ng'ang'a PM, Rugh JD, Yamaguchi H. Esthetic preferences of European American, Hispanic American, Japanese, and African judges for soft-tissue profiles. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2009;135(4):S87-S95. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ajodo.2008.02.019
18. Lee KH. The survey of preference between Korean and Korean American. J Korean Dent Assoc 2009;47(3):156-61.
19. Lee HJ, Jeon ES. A research on the questionnaires about Busan citizen’s understanding of the tooth bleaching. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2006;6(1):79-91.
20. Kim HE, Cho IH, Lim JH, Lim HS. Shade analysis of anterior teeth using digital shade analysis system. J Adv Prosthodont 2003;41(5):565-81.
21. Shulman JD, Maupome G, Clark DC, Levy SM. Perceptions of desirable tooth color among parents, dentists and children. J Am Dent Assoc 2004;135(5):595-604. https://doi.org/10.14219/ jada.archive.2004.0247